Rhinebeck, NY (Vocus) September 15, 2010
The first day of autumn is around the cornera time of leaf peeping, apple picking, pumpkin carving, and brisk walks. For most Americans, it also means fall yard pickupand along with it, an increased exposure to poison ivy. According to a report published in Weed Science, research indicates that poison ivy has grown much more aggressive since the 1950s, with leaf size and oil content measurably increased. This is bad news if you are one of the more than 350,000 people who are stricken by poison ivy annually. Lou Paradise, president and chief of research, Topical BioMedics, Rhinebeck, NY, offers the following information about poison ivy, tips on how to avoid getting it, and ways to cope if you do.
Poison ivy tops the list of plants to avoid because it contains urushiol, an oily resin that binds to the skin on contact and may result in a hypersensitivity reaction characterized by itching, burning skin eruptions. This rash-causing poison ivy sap is a clear liquid found in the plants leaves and the roots, which many people develop an allergy to over time.
No related posts.